The first session of the Fifteenth Lok Sabha commenced on Monday, the 1st of June, 2009 and the 216th session of the Rajya Sabha commenced on Thursday, the 4th of June, 2009. Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha adjourned sine die on Tuesday, the 9th of June, 2009. The Session yielded a total of 7 sittings of Lok Sabha and 4 sittings of Rajya Sabha.
2. The session was mainly devoted to administration of oath/affirmation to the newly elected Members of the Fifteenth Lok Sabha, election for the office of Speaker, Lok Sabha, election of Deputy Speaker, Lok Sabha and discussion on the Motion of Thanks on Presidentís Address.
3. Shri Manikrao Hodlya Gavit, a senior Member of Lok Sabha was appointed as Speaker Pro-tem by the President to administer the oath or affirmation to the newly elected Members of Fifteenth Lok Sabha. Shri Basudeb Acharia, Shri Arjun Charan Sethi, Shri Biren Singh Engti and Smt. Sumitra Mahajan, Members of Lok Sabha were also appointed as persons before any of whom the new Members might make and subscribe oath or affirmation.
4. On 3.6.2009, 11 motions that Smt. Meira Kumar, a member of Lok Sabha be chosen as the Speaker of the House of the People were moved by the Leaders of various parties/ groups in Lok Sabha. The Motion moved by Smt. Sonia Gandhi and seconded by Shri Pranab Mukherjee was unanimously adopted and Smt. Meira Kumar was chosen as the Speaker. This was a historic occasion when for the first time, a woman member of Lok Sabha has been elected as Speaker and that too a Member belonging to the dalit community.
5. On 8.6.2009, 9 motions that Shri Kariya Munda, a member of Lok Sabha be chosen as the Deputy Speaker of the House of the People were moved by the Leaders of various parties/ groups in Lok Sabha. The Motion moved by Lal Krishna Advani and seconded by Shri Rajnath Singh was unanimously adopted and Shri Kariya Munda was chosen as the Deputy Speaker.
6. The session being the first session of the Fifteenth Lok Sabha constituted after the general election, the President addressed both Houses of Parliament assembled together on 4.6.2009 in terms of Article 87(1) of the Constitution. Motion of Thanks on the President Address moved by Smt. Girija Vyas and seconded by Shri P. C. Chako in Lok Sabha and by Shri Satyavrata Chaturvedi and seconded by Dr. K. Keshava Rao in Rajya Sabha, was discussed and adopted by the two Houses during the Session.